Monday, September 30, 2013

September 2013 : Music Haul


I'm attempting to be concise today, but this month does not make it easy. Transitioning into "slower music", I am getting ready for Fall-time. When will it approach Texas? Unknown, but I'll listen to some of these albums inside and just pretend that everything is a-ok.
poopbooks|September 2013:Music Haul

From August to September, I've been listening to:

  • ∆∆∆∆∆∆ I don't need to say more than that
  • Kacey Musgraves. She's infiltrated my music wall. Or actually, I opened the door and let her in. She's actually great music to listen to when you're on the road. Sing-able, relateble, beat-y.

From September, I've been listening to (in order of importance):

  • HAIM's full-length (out tomorrow I think) Days Are Gone. I wrote about them a while back, and I'm gonna be that person. I said they were gonna be big and now look, they are at ACL and they sold out their ACL after show already. They rule, they make me want to be a in a girl band. "Days Are Gone" and "My Song 5" are jammy jams but "Go Slow" will always be my all-time favorite. 
  • CHVRCHES's new album, The Bones of What You Believe. Pretty sure I started listening to this Scotland trio from this girl. Thanks Urs. "Lungs" is a good one and "Recover" is something I can play for months (speaking from experience). 
  • Lorde. I forget when her album comes out, but it was streaming on VH1/Mashable. You'll probably hear it at your next house party if you haven't already. 
  • London Grammar. Flashes of Florence Welch happen when I listen to London Grammar. I kind of refused to like them when they released "Wasting My Young Years". But this music is melancholic and full of soul (I think "soulful" has a different sound). 
  • Bastille. If you need convincing, watch this. I promise, it will be the best 3 minutes of your life and you'll be wondering why you're not listening to them already. Swoonfest, Bastille is so good. Thanks Jaqs. 
  • Volcano Choir. Justin Vernon's other music venture. Touches of Bon Iver, but it's not the same. You can definitely hear his distinct voice and sometimes, that's all I need. I'll continue to spin Bon Iver every time it rains though. Nothing can replace that. 

Revisited:

  • Generationals. This band and I met again this month (on Spotify), it's been a long time. I really love their album Actor-Caster, my 4th year is making me realllll nostalgic. 
  • Explosions In The Sky. Speaking of nostalgia, Friday Night Lights anyone? I saw them perform again recently and was just wrecked. They are SO good live. "The Only Moment We Were Alone", holy emotions. 
  • Cults. My first year? My second year? Their album was my soundtrack, they've got a new one coming out soon...so I guess that's why I revisited. "Never Saw The Point"- yes. It's doo-wop-y but it's not doo-wop! 
  • Arctic Monkeys. Remnants of high school exist and listen to this band and their songs like "Balaclava" and "Florescent Adolescent"..."The best you ever had/the best you ever had/ is just a memory". All of the lyrics, y'all.

Single Tracks:

No comments:

Post a Comment