Sunday, September 1, 2013

August 2013 : Music Haul

poopbooksmusic | August 2013:Music Haul

Summer is fleeting and school is in session.....

Goodbye August, I will miss your sweet summer sounds that get me to dance or croon me to sleep.
Hello September, it's my final September in college, I'm trying to not cry.

From July to August, I've been listening to:
Benjamin Francis Leftwich. He can sing me to sleep every. night.
CHVRCHES. Can't wait for their album release next month. SEPTEMBER IS GOING TO BE SO GOOD Y'ALL.
Growl. Went to their show that kicked off their Hella Hot Summer Tour. They played new jams, can't wait to hear the studio versions. (Sidenote: Houston music scene is...different.)
Alt-J. I don't know when there isn't a time that I don't listen to this band, I just got this on vinyl last month and on that note...
Houses. I just got this on vinyl. Like two days ago. I don't know when I'll stop listening to this band either.

From August, I've been listening to:
Jesse Woods. Am I seeping back into my alternative/indie/folk/rock-self? Maybe.
Western Lows. I do judge an album by its cover. Sometimes a lot of times. They had a cool one, so I gave them a chance.
Phospherescent. Before, I had only heard "Song by Zula" (which I thought was epic, yes, I am going to describe that song using the adjective "epic"). I started listening to that album, Muchacho and now I'm making my way through the other albums. I like it.
The Virgins. Revisited this artist but never listened to their music fully but I am digging their album, Strike Gently.
Carousel.
Superhumanoids. I remember when I [probably] touched elbows with these band members when they played at the Warby Parker Circus SXSW event two years back. I am in love with their new album. I thank Hannah for reintroducing me to them. "Black Widow" - that one got me *I'm pointing to my heart*
Kacey Musgraves. For all who know me, I don't do country. I love OCMS and I love my share of folk, but that's not country. "Back On The Map"- give this track a chance, then give Kacey a chance, she'll sneak up on you.
Washed Out's newest album, Paracosm. I'm going to admit it, I listened to this album because of the cover art. I should really do a separate post about that. Cover art is important to me.
The Smiths. I attribute this artist to my one and only Megan B. This gets me through work sometimes, and other times, I just listen to it because I freaking love it.

[Thanks to the chrrywd boys, my music taste is branching out (re: Phospherescent, Wilco, Dawes, and AA Bondy).]

Revisted: Everyone Likes to Feel Nostalgic:
N'SYNC. "I Want You Back", "It's Gonna Be Me" - thank goodness for Spotify because it's how I relive the 90's.
Flight of the Conchords. Best sing-a-long's ever.
Lord Huron. Screams wanderlust, travel, and adventure.
Destiny's Child. re: N'SYNC but songs like "Bootylicious", "Bills, Bills, Bills"
(old) Justin Timberlake. One word: "SeƱorita"
Dawes. I listened to Dawes back when I was super into Delta Spirit, Deertick, and Middle Brother. Revisiting this reminds me to take things a little bit slower than my usual frazzled self. "So Well" and "Time Spent In Los Angeles" - those two songs, yes.

Single Tracks:
Periodic Table by Bent Denim (read the blog post below for a review and a listen)
Tempest by Lucius (I think their full-length is releasing in October? I love Lucius, you'll thank me later)
Long As You're Home by Houndmouth (this gives me major THATH vibes)
Do I Wanna Know? by Arctic Monkeys (slow dirty rock sounds, I've missed listening to these dudes)

No comments:

Post a Comment