Sunday, July 31, 2011

Live // Teebs

When in Brooklyn...go to a show, right? Anyways, when it was decided that I was going to New York, my brother immediately looked for shows to go to. It's funny because we'd never been to New York before and yet here we were going to a Teebs show at a venue called The Knitting Factory in Brooklyn. Here's the even bigger catch: we later found out that the show did not start until midnight and Teebs didn't perform until 2:30.. A.M. So what I heard was true - New York never sleeps. Nervous and feeling kind of regretful, I was honestly uneasy going to a show this late in a city I'd never been but whatever doubt was holding back didn't work as we hopped on the L train to Brooklyn. Finding the venue wasn't as bad as I thought it would be so we walked in, got our stamps, and arrived during the 2nd performance. Not bad and the next band ('Saturn Never Sleeps' I think) that came on after that wasn't bad either. We swayed and shook our heads to the bass. Some people really got into it and started to put some body and flailing arms to the music but we all knew who we were waiting to see: Teebs.

Sidebar: I didn't listen to Teebs very often. My brother is the one who had a million scrobbles on his last.fm but because I couldn't say no to an inexpensive show, I bought the tickets.
But boy, I was surprised and blown away. He came out with his sweater and beanie(like above), gave us a smile and started playing. If you're looking for 'homework music' - by recommendation, this is it. And if you're looking for a good show, go see Teebs. He seemed like a really down to earth guy, funny and thanking us for coming to his show throughout his set. Teebs is low key and underrated but I guess that can be a good thing. Afterward, he even gave us his CD (for free!) and so gentleman-y handed it to me. He does not often go to New York and neither do we but I'm glad we caught each other at the same time because it was a great show.

Teebs - 'Arthur's Birds' by BRAINFEEDER

No comments:

Post a Comment